1. Multiple Sheets: – In each of the Income Tax Return Preparation Software (Excel file) downloaded from the Income Tax, there would be a number of sheets/schedules displayed in tabs at the bottom of the file.
2. Mandatory Fields: -Fill all the details required in the Income Tax File (Cells with Red Font and Green Background have to be mandatory filled by the Taxpayer)
3. Software Generated Fields: – The user cannot fill the Cells with a Blue Font. Figures in these Cells would be automatically computed by the Income Tax Return Preparation Excel File.
4. Validate each Sheet: -After having filled all the details press the Validate Button to ensure that all the fields have been properly filled and to check for omissions if any.
5. Calculate Tax: – After having filled all the details, press the Calculate Tax Button and the figures in the cells with Blue Font would be automatically generated by the Income Tax Return Filing Software.
6. Generate XML: – Once all the sheets have been filled, press Generate XML which will again all the sheets and generate and show a final Validation Sheet
7. Validate Summary: – After clicking Validate XML, you will be taken to a Verification/ Validation Sheet where you should check that all entries made are reflected before clicking on Save XML.
8. Save XML to generate XML for uploading on the e-filing website as explained above and an acknowledgement can hence be generated.
In case there was any error incurred in Income Tax efiling and you realised it later, you can always file a Revised Return of Income u/s 139(5) before the expiry of 1 year from the end of the relevant assessment year or before the completion of assessment (whichever is earlier)