There is no decision on cancelling Class 12 board exams, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) said today, denying media reports that said the exams would be scrapped because of the Covid surge. “It is clarified that no such decision has been taken regarding CBSE class 12 examinations as being speculated in certain sections of media. Any decision taken in this matter will be officially communicated to the public,” said the national school education board.
A petition filed in the Supreme Court today calls for the cancelling of this year’s CBSE Class 12 board exams. The petition, filed by advocate Mamta Sharma, requests an ‘objective methodology’ to declare the results instead of an examination. “The problem is of covid cases. As the cases are increasing day by day how education system can conduct board exams that are to risky in light to once life. Will education system take responsibility of students who will be tested positive,” the petitioner says.
In view of rising COVID-19 cases, several students have launched online campaigns using the hashtag #saveboardstudents and #cancel12thboardexams. Students had also filed a petition on Change.org and had gathered more than one lakh students’ signatures.
Reports suggesting that the board exams might be scrapped started doing rounds yesterday on social media platforms. However, there is no such decision, the CBSE clarified.
The CBSE exams for Class 12, which were to be held from May 4 to June 14, had been postponed but no dates had been announced. A decision will be taken on fresh dates on June 1, Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ had said, adding that students will have at least 15 days’ notice before the exams.