The concept of a Director Identification Number (DIN) has been introduced for the first time with the insertion of Sections 266A to 266G of Companies (Amendment) Act, 2006. As such, all the existing and intending Directors have to obtain DIN within the prescribed time-frame as notified.
Step by step Process
Step by step process to be followed by the applicant is as under:
As per the revised procedure for DIN Allotment, any person intending to apply for DIN shall have to make an application in eForm DIN 1 and should follow the following procedure:
1. eForm DIN-1 has to follow the offline eFiling process. For more details regarding the same visit eFiling FAQ’s.
2. Attach the photograph and scanned copy of supporting documents i.e. proof of identity, and proof of residence as per the guidelines. Physical documents are not required to submit at DIN cell.
3. Along with the supporting documents, verification by the applicant for applying for allotment of Director Identification Number (DIN) shall also be attached. This shall contain the Name, Father’s name, date of birth and text of declaration and physical signature of the applicant.
4. The eForm shall have to be digitally signed and shall be uploaded on MCA21 portal.
5. Upon upload, Pay the fees for DIN1 eForm. Only electronic payment of the fees shall be allowed (I.e. Netbanking / Credit Card). No challan payment will be accepted under revised procedure of DIN allotment.
The applicant is required to get himself/herself registered on the MCA21 Portal to obtain login id, which is necessary for payment of the fees. After obtaining the login-id, Login to the MCA21 portal and click on ‘eForm upload’ link available under the ‘eForms’ tab for uploading the eForm DIN 1. eForm DIN-1 will be processed only after the DIN application fee is paid.
6. Upon upload and successful payment,
- In case Form DIN 1 is signed by a practicing professional and details have not been identified as potential duplicate, Approved DIN shall be generated and if the details have been identified as potential duplicate, Provisional DIN shall be genrated.
- In case Form DIN 1 is signed by an applicant or by the Managing Director/ existing director of the Company in which the applicant is a Director or the Company Secretary in full time employment of the Company, or details have been identified as a potential duplicate, provisional DIN shall be generated.
7. Processing of e Form DIN 1
In case, DIN 1 gets certified by the professional ( i.e. CA/ CS/ CWA in whole time practise), the DIN will be approved by the system immediately online(in case it is not potential duplicate). In case of signing by any other signatory (i.e. director/ Managing Director/ secretary of the company with which applicant is to be associated), the MCA DIN cell will examine the e Form DIN 1 and same shall be disposed of within one or two days.
8. Intimate approved DIN to your Companies
On approval of DIN, intimate your DIN to all the company (ies) (within a period of 30 days from the date of approval) in which you are a Director, in form DIN-2. Form DIN-2 can be downloaded and printed from the ‘DIN’ link on the homepage of MCA portal.
9. Company to intimate your DIN to ROC
After the Director has intimated the DIN allotted to the company(ies). The Company(ies) is/are then required to intimate the DINs of its directors to the ROC in Form DIN-3 within a period of seven days of receiving form DIN-2.(Filing of DIN-3 is applicable only in cases, where the date of appointment of director(s) in such company(ies), is prior to September 1 , 2007)
10. Post-approval changes in particulars of DIN-1
If there is any change in the particulars submitted in form DIN-1, applicant can submit e-form DIN-4 online. For instance in the event of change of address of a director, he/ she is required to intimate this change by submitting eform DIN-4 along with the required attested documents.