Providing Information

Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)

Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination that basically tests the understanding of the competitor in different undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and postgraduate level subjects in Science. The GATE score of a hopeful reflects a relative knowledge level in a specific subject. The score is utilised for admissions to postgraduate projects (e.g. M.E., M.Tech., Ph.D.) in Indian schools of advanced education with budgetary support given by MHRD and other government bodies. The score might additionally be utilised by public and private sector enterprises for job screening purposes.

The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and seven Indian Institutes of Technology (Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) together direct the execution of GATE. The operations identified with GATE in each of the eight zones are overseen by a zonal GATE Office at the IITs and IISc. The Organizing Institute (OI) is in charge of the end-to-end methodology and coordination amongst the directing establishments. The Organizing Institute for GATE 2015 is IIT Kanpur.

A substantial GATE score is fundamental for acquiring budgetary help for Master’s programmes and Doctoral projects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture. These scholarships are granted by the MHRD or other government offices. According to the mandates of the MHRD, the process to obtain scholarships is to become listed for admission to the postgraduate projects (Masters and Doctoral) through GATE. According to the standards embraced by a particular foundation or bureau of the Institutes, an applicant may be admitted specifically into a course focused around his/her performance in GATE and an interview by the concerned or applied to institution.

At least 70 per cent weightage will be given to the result obtained in GATE and the rest 30 per cent weightage will be given to the hopeful’s performance in interview and/or scholastic record, according to MHRD rules. The granting bodies could, however, recommend a base passing rate for being eligible for the interview stage. A few universities/foundations take GATE performance as the compulsory prerequisite for affirmation of admission offer.

Appearing and performing well in GATE is a necessity to apply for different associations funded by numerous Government associations. Hopefuls are instructed to look for complete nuances with respect to admission methods and accessibility of MHRD grant/assistantship from the concerned foundation, since the criteria for postgraduate affirmation with grant/assistantship could vary between organisations. The granting of scholarship is also at the discretion of the organisations. Also, reservation of seats under prescribed classes is according to the standards set by government of India rules.

Renowned PSUs like Indian Oil Partnership Limited, National Thermal Power Corporation, Power Grid India and others have utilized GATE scores for selecting candidates for the interview stage of their hiring processes. However, GATE or the IITs are not in charge of vocation opportunities. The qualified competitors must check daily papers and other dependable sources for any available opportunities.

A.N.J.A.L.I © 2014 Frontier Theme